Causes of Dandruff
Before we discuss Causes of Dandruff lets try to understand What is Dandruff ? Dandruff is the most common hair problem among people. When the scalp gets excessively dry or oily, it gets itchy and as a result you see white flakes coming off your head. That is Dandruff. It can be treated at home by using some remedies and also by choosing the right kind of shampoo. If the problem persists, it is advisable to visit a dermatologist.
Causes of Dandruff :
- Dry skin:This is one of the main cause of dandruff. Some people have extremely dry skin which produces white flakes .They are clearly visible on the scalp and also on other parts like arms and legs .
- Oily skin.This is another common cause of dandruff. The skin remains greasy and as a result one can see white and yellow color flakes on the scalp.
- Fungal infection: Malassezia is a kind of yeast which lives on the scalp of adult and as a result it produces more skin cells which appear white when they fall off. This makes the scalp itchy and irritable.
- Lack of shampooing is also a major cause of dandruff. It is advisable to shampoo the hair at least 3-4 times in a week to remove dirt and dust from the scalp.
- Sometimes sensitivity to some kind of hair products like shampoos or hair dyes makes the scalp red, itchy and scaly. One must avoid excessive use of styling products.
Home Remedies for Dandruff
- Lemon Juice:
Lemon juice is one of the best Home remedies for Dandruff. Lemon juice contains anti-fungal properties to fight dandruff. It is a source of Vitamin C and citric acid which helps in removing dandruff. You must apply some juice to the scalp and hair and leave it for some time. Then wash it thoroughly with water or shampoo.
- Egg Yolk:
A mix of Egg yolk and lemon juice or simply Egg yolk when applied for about 40-45 minutes on the scalp can also reduce dandruff to a great extent.
- Aloe Vera: Application of Aloe Vera gel or juice on the scalp for at least 10-15 minutes is a good option to remove dandruff and improve hair quality.
- Curd: If curd is applied regularly on the head for about 45-60 minutes, this remedy can also reduce dandruff quickly. It also makes the hair smooth and shiny.
- Baking soda: Baking Soda is another natural dandruff remover. Instead of shampoo, apply baking soda on wet hair and scalp and then wash thoroughly. After regular use you will notice a significant reduction in dandruff.
- It is advisable to wash hair regularly using an anti- dandruff shampoo which contains ingredients like Zinc Pyrithione, Tar, Seleniumsulfide, Salicylic acid.
- Avoid excessive shampooing and harsh chemical treatments on your hair.
- It is important to comb your hair after you take shower or shampoo your hair to distribute the naturally occurring oil evenly on your scalp.
- Avoid leading a stressful life. Take abundant sleep and healthy diet rich in Zinc and Vitamin B6 to enhance hair growth.
- If you use a hair dryer then always operate it on low setting so that the heat doesn’t affect your scalp.
We have discussed Causes of Dandruff as well as Home Remedies for Dandruff. Hence, we can say that Dandruff is not a serious problem if it is treated in time. If the home remedies given above are followed regularly, then it is easy to get rid of dandruff soon .