Hypertension also known as high blood pressure is a medical condition in which pressure in the arteries constantly elevated than the normal level. A Normal blood pressure is 120 / 80 mm of Hg. A blood pressure above 140/90 mm Hg is considered as a state of hypertension.
The more blood the heart pumps and the narrower the arteries the higher the blood pressure. If you have high blood pressure, it can over strain heart and blood vessels. A very high blood pressure can also cause heart and kidney diseases.
High blood pressure can be due to multiple factors like modifiable causes such as:
- Prolonged exposure to stress or chronic stress
- High salt content in the diet
- Less fruits and veggies in the diet
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Over weight
- High alcohol consumption
- Sleep apnoea or insomnia etc
- Older age
- Family history of high blood pressure
- Chronic kidney disease
- Thyroid disorders etc.